If you’ve forgotten the password of your Microsoft account and been locked out of your Windows 10/8 computer, you have to reset Microsoft account password in Windows 10.
Microsoft accounts are commonly used to log on (sign in) to Windows 10 and Windows 8 computers, the Windows phone devices, the Windows Store, Xbox video game systems, Outlook.com (formerly Hotmail.com), Skype, Office 365, OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive), and more other services by Microsoft and partner websites.
If you reset your Microsoft account password, you change the password used for all of the above sites and services you use for Microsoft account for.
Microsoft account or local account?
Now this is a common problem a lot of people get confused with Live accounts and local accounts.
The Local account password is stored on the computer that you’ve set up a local account. In case you’ve forgotten the local account password, it’s easy to bypass Windows 10 password with the reset software I discribed before.
Microsoft Live account password is not stored on the computer like a local account. So if you forget your Microsoft Live account password and cannot log into Windows 10, you will have to reset the password by going to account.live.com password reset, or using a Windows Password Genius software.
If you forget your Microsoft account password and cannot log into Windows 10, you can reset the password from another computer, tablet or any mobile device that has internet access.
Follow the steps as below to change your Microsoft account password for Windows 10.
Change Microsoft account password on Windows 10/8 with account.live.com
- From another computer, phone, or device, open a web browser and go to account.live.com password reset.
- Then select “I forgot my password”, and then click Next button.
- Here you should enter your e-mail, phone number, or Skype name originally associated with your Microsoft account.
- Type the characters shown, and then select Next.
- If prompted, choose how you want to receive your security code.
- Then verify your information, and then select Send code.
- Check your email account or phone for the security code you received, copy and paste into security code box, and then click Next.
- Then type a new password and confirm it, then select Next to continue with resetting.
- Now you’ve changed Microsoft account password, and you should remember the new password.
- At last, make sure your Windows 10 computer is connected to the internet and then use your new password to login.
Method 2: How to Reset Microsoft password for Windows 10 without email
If you’ve forgotten both of your Microsoft account email and your password, you should first retrieve your email address, the reset your password. It’s a time consuming work. So here I recommend a third-party Windows password reset software – iSunshare Windows Password Genius, the utility to reset or remove Windows 10 forgotten password and create new administrator account without data loss on locked computer.
With iSunshare Windows 10 Password Genius, you can:
- Reset Windows 10 local administrator and other local user password.
- Remove Windows 10 domain administrator and other domain user password.
- Reset Windows 10 Microsoft account password with only one click.
- Directly create new local or domain administrator account without login.
Platform: Windows 2000/2003/2008/2012/2016/ XP/Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10(32 bit & 64 bit)
Step 1. Burn Microsoft password reset to create a bootable CD (USB)
In order to reset Microsoft account password for Windows 10, the first work you should have to do is burning Windows Password Genius full version into a bootable USB or CD on an accessible computer. Then boot from your locked Windows 10 computer from bootable USB or CD, and reset your forgotten Microsoft account password on Windows 10 that is locked.
What you should prepare:
- iSunshare Windows 10 Password Genius
- Removal device, USB flash drive (or CD-ROM)
- An accessible Windows computer
- First, insert removal device into accessible computer.
- Next, choose media device type you, USB device or CD/DVD to create the password reset disk.
- Now select the inserted burning device from drop-down list. And click the Begin burning button.
- When the successful message pop up, click OK and you will get a bootable Windows 10 password reset USB (CD).
Step 2. Boot the locked Windows 10 computer from bootable USB or disk
Then, in the following steps, let me reboot the system and I’ll show you what we’re gonna do to boot the locked computer from USB password reset disk or CD/DVD password reset disk.
- Insert the bootable USB (or CD) you’ve just created into your locked Windows 10 computer.
- Start or restart the computer, when you see vendor screen, press the BOOT Menu Key (F12 or F10 sometimes) repeatedly until Boot Option Menu appears.
After that, you can see here you’re go to boot by using CD-ROM or the removable device like USB flash drive. Choose USB flash drive or CD-ROM by moving up and moving down the cursor keys.
Step 3. Reset Microsoft account password without email
When you successful boot from the disk with Windows 10 password reset, you can see the software you’re going to use. After pushing enter, you can see iSunshare Password Genius starts to load up on locked computer. OK, so now we can see the reset Windows password wizard window as below.
- Choose Microsoft account you want to reset the password.
- After selecting, click “Reset Password” button.
- As soon as you see a new dialog pops-up asking you “Do you want to see this user password to blank?“, click Yes to confirm password removing.
Here you can also add a new account to your Windows 10 computer. To do that, just click “Add User” button to add a new local account to your computer.
Step 5. Reboot computer and reset Microsoft account password
At last, click “Reboot” button and instantly eject USB or CD from Windows 10 computer. Until computer restarts from hard drive, your Microsoft account password is really reset successfully on locked computer.
The system will start to boot up, and it should log straight into Windows without the password because we’ve removed the password from that accounts.
Go to the desktop, if you take a quick at control panel, go to the User Accounts, you can see there’s no password here.