How To Backup Samsung Galaxy S4 Before Wiping?
Hi all, I’m new to Android and just upgraded to the Galaxy S4. My question is how does one do a back up of their phone in case someone wants to do a system restore. I had an iphone and doing a back up was as simple as just plugging the phone into itunes. Is there a desktop software for the Galaxy that’s similar to itunes which can give me this option? I would want my messages, apps, settings, and basically everything backed up. Thanks in advance.
You can backup easily by using Samsung’s Kies desktop software that allows you to sync your Samsung smartphone or tablet to your PC or MAC. And it can also back up contents stored on the mobile phone to the PC safely. For Samsung Galaxy S4 or S3, Kies can backup contacts, call log, SMS/MMS messages, and media files, etc., also Samsung-speific apps like S Planner and S Memo, which come on the Galaxy S3.
But in this article, I’ll give you more solutions with or without Kies to backup your Samsung Galaxy S line smartphone. Here’s how to backup and restore Samsung Galaxy S4 without Kies:
Solution 1: Backup Samsung Galaxy S5/S4/S3 to PC with Android Manager:
Samsung Galaxy S4 Manager
MobileGo by Wondershare is a more powerful Android desktop management software than Samsung’s Kies. It can perform not only Samsung Galaxy S line backup and restore, but also any other types of Samsung smartphone or tablet, HTC, Motorola, Sony Ericsson, Google, ZTE, LG, Dell, etc., almost all android devices on the market.
MobileGo can also convert media files to your android-optimized formats for playing, sync between iTunes playlist and Android.
So, if your android backup and restore issue can not be resolved by Kies, you can turn to this app for help. The only cons is that it is a shareware and the full version charges you with $39.95.
OK! Then free download the trial version from the below link, and try to backup all data on your Samsung Galaxy S4:
Step 1. Connect your Samsung Galaxy S4 to PC
After download and launch the program on your computer. Connect your Samsung Galaxy S5/S4/3/2 to your PC or Mac via USB. For Windows version, you can also connect your device via home WI-Fi to fully backup your Android Samsung phone using wireless network.
1. USB Connection
- Make sure you have enabled USB Debug on your Samsung Galaxy S4/5
- Ensure that you have checked MTP service on your Android device.
- Use a USB cable to connect your Android device to computer.
2. Connect Galaxy S4/5 via WiFi (Windows only)
- Turn on WiFi network on your Samsung Galaxy
- Have MobileGo app downloaded and installed on your Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
- Run MobileGo on your computer.
- Then open MobileGo app on your Galaxy S device scan the QR code to get connected.
Once connected successfully, the main information of your Samsung Galaxy S4 will be displayed in the primary window as below. And the option to backup and restore are both located on your device’s home screen.
Step 2. One-Click Backing Up Samsung Galaxy S4 to PC
In the MobileGo primary window, click the One-click Backup button and then there will be a backup window pop up to let you select the contents you want to copy like contacts, Text Messages, Calendar, Call logs, Playlists info, Apps, Photos, Music and Videos.
Note: During the Back Up process, please don’t disconnect your Samsung smartphone.
Step 3. Restoring Samsung Galaxy S4 from Backup
In the primary window, go to Super Toolkit tab. In the Essential section, click Restore.
As the first step we have selected Backup, for restoring, click 'Restore' button in 'Super Toolkit' tab.
There will be a file browser to let you select the previously backed up file for restoring. That’s similar with Kies. By default, all folders on your device will be automatically selected. If this is ok, simply click Restore to complete the process.
Add Files to Restore: Along with your saved phone settings and data, maybe you’d like to add some new media, apps, etc. you’ve since accumulated. To add files, simply click the blue Add Fold button in the bottom left corner of the file browser window, below the folder list. This will bring up your Windows file browser, with which you can select however many files you wish to add.
Note: During the Restore process, please don’t disconnect your device. Otherwise, the Restore will fail.
Solution 2: How to backup Samsung Galaxy S5/S4/3 with Kies?
Backup Samsung Galaxy S4 with Kies?
- First, you should download and installing Kies (Windows | Mac) on your computer, then connect your Samsung S4 to your computer via a USB cable.
- Confirm Kies is connected to your Samsung device. Once connected, you’ll see the basic information of your device in the first tab.
- Click on the Back up/Restore tab and choose the items you want to back up, then one-click 'Back up' button to start the progress. then scroll to the bottom of the window and click the Backup button. Don’t try to disconnect or turn off your Samsung Galaxy S until the process is complete.
When the process is over, click 'Complete' to finish it.
Restore Previous backed up data to your Samsung Galaxy S4?
- In the Back up/Restore tab, click the Restore button and open the Restore window.
- Then select the data you have backed up to your PC, click Next to continue. This is your last chance to back out of the restore.
Once the restore completes, click 'Complete' to finish it. And your device will reboot.
That’s all of the two solutions of how to backup and restore Samsung Galaxy S line smartphone (including the newest Galaxy S5). You can choose what you prefer. Hope you like my tutorial!